Saturday, April 23, 2011

Helplessly mighty

Earlier this week, my back went out on me. I was unable to do much of anything for a good part of the week, and my wife took up much of the burden. Being a man who believes that men should do their fair share of work in & out of the home, I felt bad watching her work so hard while I was laid up in bed. But maybe it's appropriate that I was quite helpless during this special time of year. After all, Jesus died on the cross and rose from the dead so a helpless sinner like me could have my sin purged by His blood, and then I could be raised spiritually to live vibrantly in Him. As the apostle Paul said, "I am content with weaknesses.... For when I am weak, then I am strong" (2 Corinthians 12:10, ESV).

It's because of my time of physical weakness that I got to see my wife's love and dedication to me and to our home shine through ever brighter. And it's because of Jesus that my spiritual weakness has been more than compensated for. May I always surrender to Him moment by moment so that in my helplessness I can be truly mighty.

No comments:

Post a Comment