Thursday, December 30, 2010

Act, or fail

HT to Terry Whalin for his Twitter posting of Pablo Picasso's quote: "Action is the foundational key to all success." It has only been recently that I have begun to act upon writing about those things that mean a lot to me. I'm not a great writer by any means. I just started my Twitter account & am slowly building up followers. I'm not aware of any followers to this blog (to date!). Maybe only a few people will ever see what I write. Maybe hundreds or thousands, eventually.

I've come to realize that for perfectionists like me, it's not necessarily, "The good is the enemy of the best"; but rather, "The best is the enemy of the better." What does that mean? Growing up, whether I was working on school book reports or personal stories, I'd have endless edits and rewrites. Before the days of the personal computer, I filled garbage cans with half-written pages that just weren't good enough for my high standards. Now please don't get me wrong & just haphazardly take actions. But there is a time when we say (& please forgive me, Dave Ramsey), it is good enough. If what you or I do, imperfect as it may be, can bless even a few people, then we'll have succeeded far more than if we took no action at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment