- Teacher: My Kim teaches in a large classroom of 2-year olds in a local daycare, a job she's been doing for several years. And yet she always finds a way to entertain & love those in her charge. She sings songs she's heard, or songs she makes up out of the blue ("Sing a song about this chair, Ms. Kim"; and she'll throw together a song on the spot). Her children run to her when they see her, and even after they've left her classroom are so thrilled when they see her again.
- Home decor: My wife was central in decorating our home when we moved to Texas several years back. The variety of knick-knacks in our home, the pictures of loved ones, the warm colors makes it a place I enjoy living in and coming home to.
- Cooking: She doesn't have professional training, but somehow she knows how to take some ingredients and spices and, just because she can, put just the right combination of flavors together to make a delicious meal. Her repertoire of "best meals" is ever-growing. And she just recently became our resident expert turkey carver.
- Scrap-booking: She hasn't done enough of this, in my humble opinion. The one she put together after our wedding made me think of her as a natural. It's so much more memorable than just pictures in an album. I'm not sure when she'll feel led to do something similar again, but I do look forward to it.
- Helping me write personal letters: Though she doesn't think of herself as a writer, when it comes to writing to people, Kim has a knack for knowing just what to say and how to say it. I depend on her to help me write when the message might not be easy to read. And when the letter is finished, it's much more palatable than I could ever have made it.
- Ideas for entertainment: She's so gifted at coming up with things to do, places to go, restaurants to dine at. She longs to live a vibrant life, and my life is so much richer as a result.
- Dessert appearance: My Kim can't just plop ice cream into a bowl, or throw cookies or candies onto a plate. There has to be some kind of design; at the least, it needs to look like a work of art. I try to do likewise to give her a pleasant eating experience, but alas it just doesn't make the grade. Thank heavens we both love good food even if it doesn't always stand up to visual scrutiny.
- Gift-wrapping: She certainly could get a job at a store during the holidays wrapping presents. Whether it's wrapping the gift or putting it into a gift bag, her efforts make each gift very visually enjoyable .
- Holiday decorations: With a large array of decorations at hand, and a mind and heart that know how to arrange them, Kim makes our home feel so special each holiday. We'll (as in she decorates, I help bring boxes of decorations in & out of the garage) be decorating for Valentine's Day soon. With her lover's heart, no doubt she will help make our home ever more romantic.
- Johnny: That's her son. He's a young man now, a very talented musician and chef, and a good-hearted person. Her love for him, shown in how excited she is to see him when he visits, and how often she reaches out to him across the country, makes me believe that she has been and is doing her part to help mold him into a man that will leave this world a better place.
Friday, January 27, 2012
My creative wife
I was reading a book on writing prompts, and one of the suggestions was to write about the most creative person I know. Being a writer, my first thought was toward a writer, painter, etc. But as I thought more and more, I realized that my wife, Kim, is creative in so many different ways. Here are some, in no particular order: