Sunday, August 14, 2011

My *can't* helps my *can*

My wife's sister and brother-in-law celebrated their 40th wedding anniversary yesterday, and my wife and I offered to hold a surprise party at our home. Lots of guests were coming, so we wanted everything to look nice. The house was a flurry of activity as my wife, her nephew's wife, her nephew's wife's mom, her friend, and her son (and others; not sure who else) were talking amongst themselves and putting decorations here and there. Me? I stood, like a deer in the headlights, clueless as to what help to give. Decorating for such events is, for me, a can't. Well, maybe it's a shouldn't, because I would not create a very pleasant atmosphere if I was put in charge.

I helped--when I was told where to put something, or to clean this or that. But that was the extent of my participation. And then my wife suggested I take pictures. I'm no pro at that by any means, but I think the pictures (and a couple videos) came out fairly nice. Compared to the can't of decorating, picture-taking for me was a sort-of can.

I don't spend the bulk of my time taking pictures. I enjoy it when I'm doing it, but it's not my thing. I believe there are a handful of things I really like doing, and do quite well. I'm not going to keep wishing I could do other things. God has given me different giftings and talents, and I should never assume mine are any more or less important than the next person's, nor should I envy what others can do. In fact, I should always seek to do what's necessary to excel in my cans, while praising and marveling about the abilities of those who can do my can'ts.

No comments:

Post a Comment