Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Jackets, posture, and God

I wore a sport coat with my outfit to church recently. I told my wife I didn't like how it looked on me. She suggested I stand up straighter. When I did, the jacket looked fine.

She's told me that before when I've asked her. Problem is, I too often forget to stand up straighter, and so I forget why my jacket doesn't fit right. Is it the trials of the day weighing me down? Do I focus too much on the negative? No surprise these days, where negative news and gossip abounds.

One reason I started this blog was to remind me, and others, about all the great things about Christ, and us in Him (much more), and to warn about all the terrible things in opposition to Christ (much less). Our natural bent is so often to focus on the "much less," and thus we get weighed down (and our jackets look funny). I tend to do that. So I need to remind myself of such verses as, "I can do all things through him [Christ] who strengthens me" (Philippians 4:13, ESV). "If God is for us, who can be against us" (Romans 8:31, ESV). And, "...in your [God's] presence there is fullness of joy; at your right hand are pleasures forevermore" (Psalm 16:11, ESV).

There are a multitude of those "much more" verses in the Bible. I will do my best to address many of them in future posts. Maybe if I (and you) heed those in our lives, we'll have a little more bounce in our steps, a smile on our faces...and our jackets will even fit a little better.

No comments:

Post a Comment