Saturday, January 8, 2011

Like, um, you know (or something)

My nickname should be "you know." Well, that's what somebody told me recently. What happened was that I was talking during a conversation, and when I finished, this person told me that I say "you know" so often it's what I should be called. I was humbled, to say the least. For a writer like me who likes to do my best to communicate well, I had no clue these words were standing out more than anything else I was saying.

I have come to realize that I say "you know," (and similar words) because I can't always think quickly enough to say what I want. Even as I write this, I have paused several times while thinking, What should I type next?

I also am more aware of what I say when I'm speaking, and I have to catch myself before I use those filler words that don't add to the conversation (in fact, they can detract from it). Likewise, I know that while I enjoy writing, I am still very much a novice. I don't always use the best grammar and style. Maybe even some of what I write doesn't come across to the reader as well as it could because I could have used better words or put them in a better order. But I'm learning. I'm thankful for what that person told me, because it has helped me communicate that much better. And I hope I'll keep learning from those books I'm reading about writing technique.

To be honest, I didn't go over this post very well, so if I was to let it sit for 24 hours or so before sending it through, no doubt I'd see ways to improve it. You know?

No comments:

Post a Comment